Michael J. McCabe Attorney at Law
San Diego Criminal Defense Law Practice
1985 to Present:
Currently a sole practitioner specializing in criminal defense
(California and Federal, trial, appellate and habeas corpus) as well as criminal and civil forfeiture cases, since approximately 1985.
Partner-Savitz, McCabe, and Wells/Savitz, McCabe and Schmid
Trial Attorney -Federal Defenders of San Diego, Inc.
J.D., Magna Cum Laude, University of San Diego School of Law -1972
B.S., Biology, University of San Diego -1969
POSITIONS, HONORS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Past-president (2003), San Diego Criminal Defense Lawyers Club
- Member-California Attorneys for Criminal Justice
- Member-National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Counsel of Record in more than 60 reported appellate decisions.
Member-State Bar of California (SBN54078), U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Central, Eastern, and Southern Districts of California, as well as the District of Colorado; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eigth and Ninth Circuit and
Supreme Court of the United States.
- Recipient ACLU Ceil Podoloff Award-1992
- Recipient- Criminal Defense Attorney of the Year Award, San Diego Criminal Defense Bar Association -1984
- President, Defenders Board of Directors, 1983-1985.
- AV Rated – Martindale-Hubbell
Medical Marijuana Defense Notable Cases
- Trial and Appellate Counsel in Landmark Case of People V Konow 2004 32 Cal. 4th 995 – a patient/defendant may suggest that the court dismiss the case ” in the interest of justice”,The Court has the power to do so.
- Trial Counsel in People v Howard, Vista Superior Court No. CN276134 – Charges of felony possession of hashish, felony attempted vandalism and disturbing the peace by loud noise dismissed at preliminary hearing.